Who is Eligible for CenCal Health

We understand health coverage can be confusing. CenCal Health does not determine eligibility for Covered California or Medi-Cal. If you are not sure what type of health care coverage you are eligible for, the Covered California website can help you at www.coveredca.com

If you don't already have health insurance coverage, you can purchase coverage through the state's online health insurance marketplace, known as Covered California. The Covered California website lets you comparison-shop among competing private health insurance plans.

Depending on income, you may qualify for assistance (tax credits and subsidies) to reduce your cost. View this chart for more information. This assistance is only available for plans purchased through Covered California, and is automatically applied to your purchase. You must be a citizen or legal resident to purchase coverage through Covered California.

Generally you must enroll during the Open Enrollment period, which starts in the Fall of each year for coverage to begin in January of the following year.

However, you can also enroll within 60 days of a "qualifying life event" that changes your coverage needs, such as marriage, birth, a permanent move, or the loss of employer-provided coverage. For more information, call 888-975-1142, or visit www.coveredca.com.



MediCalMedi-Cal is California’s version of the federal Medicaid health coverage program. Medi-Cal plays an essential role in California’s health care system by ensuring that children and adults with limited income and resources can receive the medical services they need, at little or no cost to them.

Did you know

Since January 2014, Medi-Cal coverage is now available to citizens and legal residents earning up to 138% of the Federal Poverty Level, including childless adults that were ineligible under the former law?  Foster youth are now eligible for coverage until age 26, instead of age 18 (or 21 if they participate in Extended Foster Care). As before, special programs are available to help pregnant women, the terminally ill, those needing long-term care, and the aged, blind, and disabled.

How do I apply? (Santa Barbara residents)

You can submit an application on-line by going directly to My Benefits CalWIN; or visit one of the three offices throughout Santa Barbara County.

You can also call Department of Social Services toll-free telephone number (866) 404-4007. Hours: Monday-Friday 8am-4pm

Or you can visit their website for more.

Santa Barbara Office
234 Camino Del Remedio

(805) 681-4401

Lompoc Office
1100 W. Laurel Ave.
(805) 737-7080

Santa Maria
2125 S. Centerpointe Pkwy
(805) 346-7135

Outstation Sites in the Community

Carpinteria Family Resource Center
5241 Eighth Street
(805) 681-4401
Every Tuesday 1pm-4pm

Santa Barbara
Franklin Service Center
1111 E. Mason Street, Room 12
(805) 681-4401
Second Wednesday of each month

Santa Maria
Marian Hospital
1400 E. Church Street
(805) 346-7135
Every Monday 9am-12pm Every Thursday 1pm-4pm

Santa Ynez Valley People Helping People
545 N. Alisal Road, Suite 102
(805) 737-7080

Eligibility is determined based on the information you provide on your Medi-Cal application and any required verifications. If it is determined that your household is not eligible, then the Department of Social Services can help you pursue other options, such as applying for affordable insurance from Covered California.

How do I apply? (San Luis Obispo residents)

For San Luis Obispo County residents, you can submit an application online My Benefits CalWIN; or you can visit the Department of Social Services website.

Hours: Monday-Friday 8am-4pm

9415 El Camino Real
(805) 461-6000

Paso Robles
406 Spring Street
(805) 237-3110

Arroyo Grande
1086 Grand Avenue
(805) 474-2000

681 W. Tefft Street
(805) 931-1800

Additional telephone numbers for residents of Los Osos and Baywood only: (805) 781-1600 (Medi-Cal Intake and Continuing Services)

Additional telephone numbers for residents of Baywood, Cambria, Cayucos, Los Osos, Morrow, Ragged Point & San Simeon: (805) 772-6405

(800) 834-3002 (toll-free to DSS switchboard)