Congestive Heart Failure
Having congestive heart failure (CHF), also called heart failure, means that your heart doesn’t pump enough blood to the rest of your body. This can cause fluid to build up and make your legs or lungs swollen.
Important things to do if you have CHF:
- See your doctor regularly.
- Create a management plan to make sure you stay healthy and out of the hospital.
- Take all your medications as prescribed, even when you are feeling ok. If you’re feeling good, that means your medicine is working.
- Eat a heart healthy diet, low in sodium.
Download the materials below for more information
Caring for your Heart booklet
Heart Failure Action Plan
Congestive Heart Failure: What to do Each Day
Daily Weight Log
Coumadin Diet Information
What is hypertension?
Hypertension, also called high blood pressure, is a chronic health condition where the pressure in the arteries (blood vessels) is higher than it should be. This can cause heart attack, heart failure, stroke, or other problems.
Many things can cause high blood pressure. These things include aging, stress, using illicit drugs, or being overweight.
Who should get tested?
Hypertension often has no warning signs or symptoms. That is why it is very important to have regular check-ups with your doctor. Every adult should have their blood pressure checked every year or more often.
Have you been told you have high blood pressure?
If you have high blood pressure, here are things you can do to help lower your blood pressure:
• Eat a healthy diet full of fruits and vegetables. Avoid processed meats, salty foods, or adding extra table salt to your food. Limit the amount of alcohol you drink.
• Take your medicines exactly as prescribed. Don’t stop taking your medicine just because you are feeling better.
• See your doctor regularly for check-ups and screenings. For a list of recommended screenings, tests, and immunizations, check out our Preventive Health Guidelines.
To learn more, download the materials below:
Blood Pressure and Your Health booklet
Blood Pressure Tracking Card