Start the School Year Healthy
It is never too early to start preparing for the upcoming school year. Kids need important things to have a safe, healthy, and successful school year. Start your planning now!
Over the Summer
- Get vaccinations. Kids need vaccines before entering Kindergarten and 7th grade.
- Schedule doctor appointments early. Doctors offices can be very busy in August, so make your appointment for annual well-visits, sports physicals, and vaccinations ahead of time.
Before the First Day of School
- Notify the school if your child has allergies, needs regular medications, has diet restrictions, or other important information.
- Decide on a safe route to school
During the School Year
- Start with breakfast. Your child should eat breakfast every day, to ensure they have a productive day at school.
- Eat healthy. Keep healthy snacks around and aim for 5-7 fruits and veggies per day.
- Get enough sleep. Make sure your child is getting the recommended amount of sleep for their age group.
To learn more about how to make healthy food choices during the school year, visit My Plate
Got a teen at home? Are they having a hard time? We have a webpage just for them!